Last Updated October 15th, 2015
How We Collect Information
Information including your name, email address, address and any other personal information may be collected under the following circumstances…
-When forms are filled out through our services,
-When you sign up for newsletters or any other materials through our services.
-When you provide information through a third party.
-When you communicate with us and request information.
-When you participate in marketing initiatives including, but not limited to contests, events and promotions.
-When you participate in forums or other user generated content through our services.
Information Provided By Third Parties
In an attempt to provide the best quality service available, we may collect information from third parties such as blogs, websites and social platforms in order to learn more about you and the rest of our audience.
The information collected through these technologies, standing alone, cannot be used to determine your identity. Such information may, however, be combined in a way that makes it become personal information (e.g. information that can identify you). If this happens, we will treat the combined information as personal information. Please note that, in most cases, you can remove or block cookies by using the settings in your browser, but doing so may affect your ability to use our Services.
Technologies such as: cookies, beacons, tags and scripts are used by ModestMoney.com and our partners, affiliates, or analytics or service providers. These technologies are used in analyzing trends, administering the site, tracking users’ movements around the site and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. We may receive reports based on the use of these technologies by these companies on an individual as well as aggregated basis.
We use local storage objects (LSOs) such as HTML5 to store content information and preferences. Third Parties, with whom we partner to provide certain features on our site or to display advertising based upon your Web browsing activity, use LSOs such as HTML5 to collect and store information. Various browsers may offer their own management tools for removing HTML5 LSOs. To manage Flash LSOs please click here: http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html .
How We Use Your Information
We may make Use of Your Information for various lawful business purposes. Among others, these purposes may include using Your Information to:
- Engage in customer support. For example, we might confirm and complete transactions requested by you, verify information you provide to us and provide you with administrative notices.
How We Disclose Information
General Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose Your Information:
- To any person who, in our reasonable judgment, is authorized to receive Your Information as your agent, including as a result of your business dealings with that person (i.e., your attorney);
- To our third-party vendors so that they may provide support for our internal and business operations, including for the handling of data processing, data verification, data storage, surveys, research, internal marketing, delivery of promotional, marketing and transaction materials, and our Services’ maintenance and security. These companies are authorized to Use Your Information only as necessary to provide these services to us and are contractually obligated to keep Your Information confidential;
- To Third Parties such as credit card providers when you use our Services to request a quote, services, or information from one or more of those Third Parties such as by clicking “get your approval” or other similar buttons at the end of a form;
- To Third Parties that are interested in contacting you or providing offers to you that may be related to our Services or about products or services you may find of interest; If you do not want us to share your personal information with these companies, contact us at [email protected]
- As required by law or ordered by a court, regulatory, or administrative agency;
- As we deem necessary, in our sole discretion, if we believe that you are violating any applicable law, rule or regulation, or are otherwise interfering with another’s rights or property, including, without limitation, our rights or property;
- If requested by authorities in the event of any act of terrorism or instance of local, regional or national emergency;
- To enforce or protect our rights;
- In connection with a Business Transfer, as defined below (see Business Transfers below); and
- To our affiliated companies (e.g. companies under common control or management with us).
If you do not want Your Information shared as described above, then you should not provide us with Your Information.
Requests for Approvals and Services from Third Party Service Providers
As noted above, we may share Your Information with Requested Service Providers when you use our Services to request an approval, services or information from one or more Third Parties (a “Request”). IF YOU SUBMIT A REQUEST, REQUESTED SERVICE PROVIDERS MAY CONTACT YOU DIRECTLY WITH QUOTES VIA MAIL, TELEPHONE, TEXT MESSAGE, FAX, EMAIL AND OTHER MEANS OF COMMUNICATION. YOU MAY RECEIVE TELEMARKETING CALLS AS A CONSEQUENCE OF SUBMITTING A REQUEST THROUGH OUR SERVICES, EVEN IF YOU ARE ON THE NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY OR ANY OTHER DO NOT CALL REGISTRY.
If you are matched with Third Party Service Providers, you expressly consent to those Service Providers conducting any research necessary to provide you with quotes for your Request. Third Party Service Providers may need to share Your Information to conduct such research. As an example, if you request approval for a credit card, consumer reports may be ordered in connection with your application. Such reports may provide information that may assist in determining eligibility for insurance and the interest rate you may be charged for the card. Consumer reports may also be used for updates, renewal or extensions of this insurance. In addition, card issuers may use Third Parties in connection with the development of a “credit score” for you. If you do not want Third Party Service Providers to conduct necessary research to provide you with an approval for your Request, then you should not submit a Request.
Please note that if you submit a Request through our Services and we share Your Information as described above in connection with your Request, you will not have the opportunity to opt out of the disclosure of Your Information in connection with that Request.
Aggregation and De-Personalization
We may take Your Information and de-personalize it either by combining it with information about other individuals (aggregating Your Information with information about other individuals), or by removing characteristics (such as your name) that make the information personally identifiable to you (de-personalizing Your Information). We reserve the right to share, loan, rent, sell, or otherwise disclose such information to Third Parties at any time, for any lawful purpose, without notice or compensation to you.
Sharing with Friends
Circumvention of Security Measures
When you enter sensitive information (such as last four digits of your social security number), we encrypt the transmission of that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL). We follow generally accepted standards to protect the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it.
You must be at least 15 years of age to register with or use certain portions of the Services. The Services are not intended for children under 15 years of age. No one under 15 years of age may provide any personal information to or on the Services. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 15. If you believe that we may have any information from or about a child, please contact us at [email protected]
From time to time, we may participate in or use advertising networks, such as third-party advertising servers, advertising agencies, technology vendors and research firms. We may use these third-party advertising networks for marketing, advertising and promotional purposes, as well as to serve advertisements to you. Advertising networks often gather data about consumers who view advertisements to make inferences about a consumer’s interests and preferences, which enables their computers to deliver advertisements directly targeted to the consumer’s specific interests. This practice is often referred to as “online behavioral advertising.” For example, a third-party advertising network might collect the type of Internet browser you use, the type of computer operating system you use, the domain name of a website you visit, whether or not you visit specific pages of a website, the location of your Internet Service Provider, the date and time of a visit to a website and other interactions between you and a website.
User Generated Content
We offer publicly accessible blogs and other interactive media through our Services. To request removal of Your Information from our blog or community forum, contact us at [email protected] In some cases, we may not be able to remove Your Information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why.
Your Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the personal information you provide to us. Below are some mechanisms that provide you with control over certain information:
- Email Offers from Us. If you do not wish to receive email offers or newsletters from us, you can opt out of receiving email information from us (other than emails related to the completion of your registration, correction of user data, change of password and other similar communications essential to your transactions through our Services) by using the unsubscribe process at the bottom of the email.
Information You Disclose to Third Parties
Links to Third-Party Websites
Third Party Widgets and Plug-ins
If you have questions or concerns about our privacy practices or wish to make a request regarding Your Information, please contact us at [email protected]
Special Notification for California Residents — Your California Privacy Rights
Individuals who are residents of California and have provided their personal information to us may request information regarding our disclosures, if any, of their personal information to Third Parties for direct marketing purposes. Such requests must be submitted to us at [email protected] or in writing at:
14405 SE Center St.
Portland OR 97236
California privacy rights requests must include the reference “Request for California Privacy Information” on the subject line and in the body of the message and must include the email address or mailing address, as applicable, for us to send our response. This request may be made no more than once per calendar year. We reserve the right not to respond to requests submitted other than to the address specified above.