Acre Gold Review 2023
|By: Jeremy Biberdorf||March 13, 2023|
In a nutshell: Acre Gold is a unique precious metal company & online platform—based out of Santa Monica—that offers a subscription plan to buy gold. You don’t have to have the full amount it costs to purchase a bar, because Acre Gold has what they refer to as a ‘layaway program”, one that allows fractional buys until you purchase the whole bar. Only then will they ship the bar of gold to you.
Read our Acre Gold review to help decide if it’s the best place for you to buy gold.
|Subscription Fee||Shipping||Referral Program|
|$50, $100, $250 a month||Yes||Yes|
- Low threshold for those who want to purchase gold bars
- 3 subscription plans
- Has a referral program
- Cancellations and modifications available to transactions
- No customer support number
- Not much info offered on the site
- Doesn’t have gold coin options
Compare to Other Platforms
Fees$50, $100, $250 a month
ProductsGold, silver, copper, palladium, rhodium, and platinum
ServicesBuy, sell, loans
ShippingFree shipping on all $500+ orders
ProductsGold, silver, platinum, copper and palladium
ServicesBuying, selling, and loans
ShippingYes, but only in the U.S. and U.S. military boxes
Acre Gold at a Glance
Acre Gold’s primary mission is to help investors acquire and invest in precious metals easily – even without much capital. It comes with 3 different monthly subscription plans that investors can choose from to best suit their cost considerations at $50, $100, or $250 a month.
Gold is a hedge against inflation, and it will often rise when the stock market falls. Many people are looking to gold for investment safety during economic uncertainty, and Acre Gold’s business model has just made the process more affordable for everyone.
Acre Gold Review – How Does It Work?
The subscription plan you pick is actually your layaway plan. Each month, the amount you pay goes towards the total sum of a bar of gold. The lower the price of the plan, the longer it takes to pay off a bar. When you pass the threshold, Acre Gold will automatically ship the physical gold bar(s) to you. As of now, there is no clear listing of how much gold bars cost on the subscription pages, but we assume it’s because the market value fluctuates. However, we were able to find the listing for purchasing bars via a Google search (but we weren’t able to find the listings directly from the homepage of Acre Gold).
Is There a Cancellation Policy?
Yes, our Acre Gold review has shown that the platform does have a cancellation and a refund policy as well. They state that members can cancel or modify their account whenever, but as for refunds, Acre Gold does not offer refunds for physical products once they have been shipped. If any issues arise with the shipment, you can always contact their customer service for assistance.
Acre Gold Price
Aside from the monthly subscription cost, anyone looking to join Acre Gold will have to pay a one-time $12 signup fee (which is essentially a processing fee). Then there are the shipping and fulfillment costs every time gold is sent to you. Any overpayments you make towards the price of gold assets will be reimbursed as credits to your account. Purchases and payments can be made using a Mastercard, Visa, or American Express card.
To give you a better idea of the final costs, we’ll take a closer look at the different purchasing options below.
Acre Gold understands that not all customers may be interested in a subscription-based service, and therefore offers the flexibility to make outright purchases of gold without the need for a subscription commitment. Catering to varying budgets and investment preferences, Acre Gold presents a range of gold weight options for outright purchases, all with the added benefit of free domestic shipping.
Available outright purchase options include (market prices as of May 9th 2023):
- Acre Gold (1G) – Priced at $125.89, this option provides an accessible entry point for those looking to start their gold investment journey or simply add a small amount of gold to their existing collection.
- Acre Gold (2.5G) – At $258.18, this 2.5-Gram Gold bar selection offers a moderate investment opportunity, ideal for individuals who want to increase their gold holdings without committing to a larger purchase.
- Acre Gold (5G) – For a more substantial investment, the Five-gram gold bullion option comes in at $464.10, offering a balance between affordability and a meaningful addition to one’s gold portfolio.
- Acre Gold (10G) – The largest of the available options, the 10G gold bar is priced at $873.92, appealing to those seeking a more significant investment or looking to diversify their precious metal holdings.
By providing these outright purchase options, Acre Gold ensures that customers can buy gold according to their preferences and financial goals without being tied down to a subscription plan. This approach allows for greater flexibility and control over one’s investment strategy while still enjoying the benefits of free domestic shipping on all orders.
The ability to purchase grams of gold over time via ongoing month subscription payments is the main appeal of this unique gold market. All the gold bars are made of .9999 gold purity, and labeled with the Acre Gold’s logo. You’ll receive a soft-touch box for storage alongside the gold bar you’ve purchased. Currently, Acre Gold offers four different subscriptions plans:
- 1G – With this plan, you’ll be making monthly payments of $30 towards a 1 gram (0.03215 oz) bar of gold. Once you’ve paid enough to cover the costs of the gold and any applicable fees, your bar will be shipped to you.
- 5G – Slightly larger at 2.5 grams (0.08038 oz), this bar will cost you $50 per month. The bar—which is shipped once all applicable costs have been funded—is labeled with both the stamped Acre Gold logo and the weight.
- 5G – Twice the size of the previous bar (at 0.1607 oz), this subscription plan will cost you $100 per month.
- 10G – This is the largest bar currently offered by this gold company. The 10G (0.3215 oz) bar of gold costs $250 per month, making it the most expensive monthly subscription fee from Acre Gold.
If your current investment strategy doesn’t include storing gold yourself, then Acre Gold’s “Digital Gold” may interest you. With this take on the online subscription service, Acre Gold still lets you finance a purchase from their gold market, but they also take care of storage once you’ve paid off the balance.
Storage fees are extremely affordable, costing a mere $1 per month (regardless of which bar size you purchase). However, while you might be thinking you won’t have to pay shipping fees, that’s not the case. “Digital Gold” purchases—unfortunately—still include Acre Gold’s one-time membership fee, taxes, and shipping/fulfillment fees.
“Digital Gold” only offers three subscriptions, compared to the four options offered via regular physical gold subscriptions.
- Acre Digital Gold (2.5 grams/0.08038 oz) – $50 per month
- Acre Digital Gold (5 grams/0.1607 oz) – $100 per month
- Acre Digital Gold (10 grams/0.3215 oz) – $250 per month
Turning Digital Gold Into Tangible Investments
Your digital gold can be redeemed at any time—either partially or in full—via the website or by emailing the company. That said, if you’re after cash then you’ll have to go through a short process (as redemptions are only offered in the form of physical gold).
After submitting your redemption request, Acre Gold will provide you with a quote for the redemption price which “may not be the best price that you could receive on the open market.” In other words, the quoted value of your gold products may not be equal to the spot price (current price).
If you choose to accept the quote, Acre Gold will send your gold shipment via USPS.
Similar to a regular order, digital gold redemptions are still subject to Acre Gold’s shipping and fulfillment fees. After everything’s been squared away, the company will ship you your redeemed physical gold.
From here, you will need to sell the gold yourself if you’d like to convert it into cash.
Is It Possible to Cancel My Order?
Surprisingly, Acre Gold does allow customers to cancel eligible orders. Only orders that have not shipped yet will be eligible for cancellation. If the product has already been shipped, it will not be eligible for a refund.
However, if your shipment was scheduled and then delayed (i.e., it hasn’t been shipped yet), you can still cancel the order prior to shipping. However, you will be charged a cancellation fee. Any applicable processing fees will also be subtracted from your refund.
Benefits of the Monthly Subscription Model and Dollar-Cost Averaging (DCA)
The monthly subscription model offered by Acre Gold is an attractive feature for investors looking to buy gold in a gradual and affordable manner. One of the main advantages of this approach is that it allows investors to practice Dollar-Cost Averaging (DCA) when purchasing gold. DCA is an investment strategy that involves buying a fixed amount of an asset at regular intervals, regardless of the asset’s price. This approach has several benefits, including:
- Reducing the impact of market volatility: By investing a fixed amount at regular intervals, investors can minimize the impact of short-term market fluctuations. This helps to mitigate the risk associated with trying to time the market, as the investments are spread out over time.
- Simplifying investment decisions: With a monthly subscription model, investors don’t need to worry about when to buy gold or how much to invest at any given time. The subscription plan takes care of these decisions, enabling investors to focus on their long-term investment goals.
- Encouraging disciplined investing: The subscription model promotes a disciplined approach to investing, as it requires investors to commit to a consistent investment plan. This can help to prevent impulsive decisions based on market conditions and encourages a long-term mindset.
- Cost-effective accumulation: By gradually building up their gold holdings through a monthly subscription, investors can effectively accumulate gold over time without needing a large upfront investment. This makes gold investing more accessible to a wider range of individuals, including those with limited capital.
- Averaging out the cost of gold: As investors purchase gold at different prices over time, they effectively average out the cost of their gold holdings. This can result in a lower average cost per unit compared to making a single, large investment at a potentially unfavorable price.
- Flexibility: Acre Gold offers multiple subscription plans, allowing investors to choose a plan that suits their budget and investment goals. Additionally, the platform allows for cancellations and modifications, providing flexibility in managing one’s investments.
Benefits of Gold
Gold has been a valuable and sought-after asset for centuries, and it continues to hold its appeal as an investment option. Here are some key benefits of investing in gold:
- Portfolio diversification: Gold is often considered a safe-haven asset, as it tends to have a low correlation with other asset classes, such as stocks and bonds. By including gold in your investment portfolio, you can reduce overall risk and improve diversification.
- Hedge against inflation: Gold has historically served as an effective hedge against inflation, preserving its value over time. When the purchasing power of paper currencies declines due to inflation, gold typically maintains or even increases in value, helping to protect investors’ wealth.
- Store of value: Gold is a tangible asset that has maintained its value across centuries and various economic conditions, particularly economic downturns. Its scarcity, durability, and universal appeal make it a reliable store of value.
- Liquidity: Gold is a widely recognized and traded asset, making it relatively easy to buy and sell when needed. While gold bars may be less liquid than other forms of gold, such as coins or ETFs, they can still be converted to cash when necessary.
- Currency devaluation protection: Gold can act as a hedge against currency devaluation. As central banks around the world engage in quantitative easing and other monetary policy measures, the value of paper currencies may decline, increasing the appeal of gold as an alternative store of value.
- Geopolitical stability: Gold often performs well during times of geopolitical uncertainty, as investors seek safe-haven assets to protect their wealth. This makes gold an attractive investment option during periods of heightened global tensions.
Referral Program for Acre Gold
Acre Gold has a referral program for its members as an added incentive. If you refer friends and family, the platform will compensate you for it, although there isn’t much information regarding the rewards. There is also an affiliate program for businesses looking to partner with them.
A company’s customer support says everything, and Acre Gold’s customer support team is very responsive. However, it does not offer many channels to get in touch with its customer support team. You can either email them or turn to its social media platforms (Instagram and Facebook) to get an answer to your question.
As of now, there is no customer service phone number or live chat function on their site, but hopefully, Acre Gold will integrate these formats in the future. However, they do have an email address listed (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Fintech veterans will be fairly familiar with the basic customer portal offered by Acre Gold. While it does not—as noted above—allow you to get in contact with customer service, it does allow you to view your account. The customer portal shows gold investors their current subscription plans, progress, and shipments. You can also cancel your account from the customer portal.
How Does Gold Compare to Other Investments?
Many investors consider gold to be a safe investment. Although gold prices aren’t immune to price depreciation, they’re much less volatile than other assets like stocks. Historically, gold is more reliable in times of financial uncertainty. Still, gold only offers returns via price appreciation; it doesn’t produce any income on its own.
Gold can be part of a strong portfolio, but it should never be the majority. While it does have the benefit of liquidity, so do stocks and bonds (both of which have outperformed gold in the past!).
Is Acre Gold Right for You and is it Legit?
Acre Gold is quite a new player in the gold investment industry, and it’s only natural for potential clients to wonder if it is legit. Acre Gold says its products are 99.90% pure gold, they are minted in Switzerland and each bar comes with a certificate of authenticity assay card.
To protect your shipment during transport, Acre Gold carefully packages its products in tamper-evident packaging. This type of packaging will reveal if someone tried to open your package and other forms of tampering.
Whether or not you’ll enjoy the benefits of investment through Acre Gold’s monthly gold subscription will depend on your financial goals, risk tolerance, investment profile, and preference. If you have the capital to buy multiple grams of gold—-or even whole bars—at once, you may not need Acre Gold’s services. However, if its layaway payment structure is appealing, then Acre Gold is a legitimate service you should consider.
Keep in mind that bars of gold are not a very liquid asset and are usually something investors hold and wait for it to appreciate. If you’re looking for assets that you can flip quickly and make a profit, then you should consider other options besides Acre Gold’s offerings.
Acre Gold Review – Final Thoughts
Acre Gold offers a unique and accessible way for investors to gradually build their gold holdings through its monthly subscription model. With a low threshold for entry and multiple subscription plans to choose from, it caters to investors with varying budgets and financial goals. The platform’s layaway program allows for fractional purchases of gold bars, making gold investment more achievable for a wider audience.
The monthly subscription model enables investors to practice Dollar-Cost Averaging (DCA), which helps mitigate the risks associated with market fluctuations and encourages a disciplined, long-term investment approach. While the platform lacks certain features like a customer support phone number, live chat, and gold coin options, its responsive customer support team and user-friendly customer portal make it a convenient option for investors.
However, it’s essential to remember that gold bars are not highly liquid assets, and investors should consider their financial goals, risk tolerance, and investment preferences before committing to a subscription plan.
Acre Gold provides an innovative and accessible platform for individuals looking to invest in gold without the need for a significant upfront investment. Its monthly subscription model, combined with the benefits of Dollar-Cost Averaging, makes it an attractive option for both new and experienced investors seeking to diversify their portfolios with Gold.
Click here to get started with Acre Gold.
Frequently Asked Questions
No. At this time, Acre Gold doesn’t offer a buyback program for its clients. Fortunately, there are many other online precious metals companies willing to purchase gold. We recommend shopping around and comparing quotes to find the best current price offer, as doing so could get you a much better return on your investment.
Yes! Any digital gold purchases you make will be physically secured in one of Acre Gold’s selected storage facilities. In addition to being secured, your digital gold will also be fully insured against physical loss and theft.
However, exactly where your gold will be stored and which company is in charge of securing your gold isn’t disclosed in Acre Gold’s Terms of Service.
Yes, all of Acre Gold’s shipments are insured against non-delivery, loss, and damages (the company doesn’t specify whether this insurance is through USPS or a different third-party insurer).
However, this insurance only covers the package while it’s in transit; coverage ends once the package has been delivered. For this reason, we would not recommend signing for your order ahead of time (meaning it can be left unattended at your home) or leaving it with a third party.
If you should run into any issues with your order, you will need to contact Acre Gold within two days of receiving your package. Otherwise, the company may not respond to your insurance claim.
If you do file a claim, the company will require you to sign an Affidavit that covers the issue(s) with your order. Once that’s been completed, Acre Gold will either re-ship your order or issue you a refund.
Yes, Acre Gold’s services are available internationally (with a few exceptions such as Syria, North Korea, Cuba, and Iran). However, shipping costs are not provided for any country except for Canada, which makes us think that the shipping costs vary on a per-order basis.
Acre Gold’s terms of conditions specify that they will not ship via freight forwarding services. While you could likely find a way around this, Acre Gold won’t cover shipments if they’ve been handed over to a freight forwarding service. They will, however, cover the shipment up to the point where the transfer occurs.
For Canada, your shipping costs will vary depending on how many bars you’re having shipped. If you’re only having a single bar shipped, you can expect to pay $27.50 (plus duty and tax). If you’re having two to four bars shipped then the price increased to $47.50.
Each shipment to Canada will be charged $8.75 for duty and tax.
Although there are many benefits of gold, we never recommend putting your entire portfolio into precious metals investments. The main benefit of investing through Acre Gold’s services is that you can make a consistent investment through the company’s monthly gold purchase plan, making it easy to track progress toward your investment goals.
Of course, you’ll also benefit from having gold with a 99.9% confirmed gold purity. Since gold’s price generally runs independently of the market, this should give you some peace of mind during market swings.
Gold is excellent at retaining its value during economic downturns, and generally appreciates over time, making it ideal as a long-term investment.
However, gold doesn’t offer the potentially high returns or dividends that stocks do, making it a poor way to quickly grow your wealth. If you’re just starting out on your investment journey, we recommend building up a portfolio of stocks, ETFs, mutual funds, and other asset types before diversifying with gold.