Alpha Picks Review 2023 | Is Seeking Alpha’s Alpha Picks Right for Me?
Alpha Picks is a great option to consider for investors looking for a stock-picking service. While there are many competitors, Alpha Picks has a track record of success and many happy customers. That said, whether it’s the best service for you will depend on your unique needs and preferences.
“Alpha” refers to the percentage that one beats an index. So, for example, if the S&P 500 is up 10% and you’re up 15%, then your alpha is 5%. Many investors are therefore “seeking alpha,” which is where they get their name. Alpha Picks is one of Seeking Alpha’s top products due to the fact that it enables investors to consistently outperform the market.
To learn more about how Alpha Picks works and what its top features are, keep reading!
Learn More About Alpha Picks
How Does Alpha Picks Work?
The Seeking Alpha site is arguably overwhelming. Its content model depends on thousands of contributors, not all of whom have great track records of success. While Seeking Alpha Premium does enable you to see what these contributors’ respective track records are, Alpha Picks allows you to invest confidently without much effort of your own.
Alpha Picks has a history of success. According to their site, Alpha Picks’ total return is 470% since 2009, while the S&P 500’s total return is 290%. This is an alpha of a whopping 180%.
Alpha Picks delivers its picks by using a proprietary, data-driven scoring system that caters to “buy-and-hold” investors. For example, companies must have a market cap greater than $500 million, be traded as common stock, and have a share price over $10.
Subscribers to Alpha Picks receive two trading picks a month, on the 1st trading day of every month and the closest trading day to (or on) the 15th of every month.
Alpha Picks Features
Alpha Picks offers various features that help set it apart from its competitors. Let’s take a look now at some of these key features that inform how they pick their winning stocks:
- Backtested model – The Alpha Picks stock-picking model is backtested from 12/31/2010 to 5/15/2022, with portfolio performance compounded monthly with a starting value of $10,000 and $1,000 added monthly. The holdings are purchased in equal weights and rebalanced monthly. Under this model, Alpha Picks’ total return is a whopping 470%.
- Selective criteria – Unlike many competitors, you won’t receive penny stocks and hyped-up WallStreetBets-type picks. These are bona fide companies that will appeal to conservative, long-term investors.
- Disciplined portfolio rules – The portfolio process is disciplined and this discipline is maintained by following certain rules. For example, stocks that have changed to a Sell or Strong Sell rating will be sold, and stocks rated Neutral for more than 180 days will be sold.
- Letting winners run – Part of the portfolio process involves letting winners run, which is a crucial strategy for long-term investing success. When stocks in the portfolio have doubled, they move to the “Good-to-Great” category. This means that if they receive a Sell/Strong Sell recommendation, half the position is sold and the rest remains. At this point, in other words, you are playing with “house money.”
Alpha Picks Pricing & Plans
Alpha Picks has a simple pricing structure:
- $99/year (sale price, good for one year)
- $199/year (regular price)
This is competitive pricing for a stock-picking service with a strong track record. For example, The Motley Fool’s flagship service costs $250/year.
Alpha Picks provides subscribers immediate access to the Alpha Picks Newsletter’s full buy list and the research behind it. Since subscribers immediately gain access to this wealth of information, Seeking Alpha does not offer refunds or free trials.
Is Alpha Picks Worth It?
Alpha Picks is a high-quality stock-picking service with a proven track record. There’s a lot to like, and very little to dislike.
Whether it’s worth it will ultimately depend on your unique needs and preferences, however. Click here to take advantage of the sale price and see firsthand if it’s right for you.
Get Started With Alpha Picks